Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Another isite!

{cross post from Sally Jungblut via Facebook}



I was out kayaking this weekend in Cary when I noticed something bushy in the water. As I reached for the aquatic plant, it's form went from looking like a part of a pine branch to a squishy lump of green. 

This aquatic plant is called a Myriophyllum heterophyllum. It's name in latin means "ten thousand leaves". Though native to Florida, this plant has traveled through most of the eastern part of the states and lives in most waterways and small bodies of water. What I noticed as I drew the small sprig from the water is how the branches with all it's very fine bristles created a net - a net made up of hundreds of little nets.
  • How would you use this for human use?
  • What about spills - oil, chemical, hazardous waste?
  • Filtration both in air and water?
  • What if I wanted to capture with it? 
  • Dip the design into a product and withdraw and transport?
  • What about a new grocery/storage system?
  • Wouldn't it be cool if I could attach food containers to a branch and then have it collapse onto itself to create a protective net over it?
Remember, there's still time to go out and find your own organism for the Biomimicry isite Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment